So after four days of the ginger ale and saltine diet, I was finally hungry and really wanted chicken noodle soup; I needed comfort food. As a vegetarian, chicken noodle soup is something I miss. I decided to make a vegetarian chicken noodle soup. Recipe from Oh My Veggies.
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-14 oz. package extra-firm tofu, frozen overnight, thawed, pressed for 30 minutes and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 quarts no-chicken broth
- 12 oz. dried wide egg noodles
- 1/2 c. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for 3 minutes; add tofu. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened, but not browned.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, add egg noodles and simmer for 8 minutes. (The noodles will be slightly undercooked, but don’t worry–they’ll continue cooking after removed from heat. This way, the noodles won’t be mushy.)
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley before serving.