Saturday was my friend’s birthday, so I decided to make a pake for her birthday and to enter a recipe contest. I think I have a winner too; this pake was delicious and pretty easy to make too! The only thing I made from scratch was the cake and the sweetened whipped cream. This recipe should make two pakes, but I made one pake and cupcakes.
- 2 deep dish pie crusts (thawed, not baked)
- 2 cups cherry filling (I used cherry preserves with whole cherries in it)
- Chocolate cake batter
- About 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- Bittersweet chocolate bar to shave for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour 1 cup of cherry filling into each pie tin.
- Prepare the cake batter and pour into each pie tin. Batter should be about 1/4 inch below the rim of the tin.
- Place tins on a cookie sheet and bake for about 35 minutes.
- Insert toothpick into cake, it will come out clean when the cake is done.
- Once done baking, let pake cool, then top with whipped cream and with a zester, shave chocolate over whipped cream. Note: I used a pastry bag and tip for the whipped cream.
Recipes for chocolate cake and whipped cream are below. Also, if you do not want to make the cake from scratch; here is a quick way to alter the cake mix with a little more flavor. Altered Cake Mix: Instead of using water for the cake mix, use coffee, 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. P.S. This is mostly for my mother because she does not like baking cakes from scratch!
Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. With the mixer on low setting, stir in hot coffee (batter will be thin).
Sweetened Whipped Cream:
- 1-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- Add sifted confectioner’s sugar and vanilla, whip to combine.
This may seem like a lot of work, but it really wasn’t!