This Tuesday was Boss Appreciation Day, and I made plenty of treats for my co-workers. I am submitting this recipe for a recipe contest, wish me and my friend luck!
I got some great feedback on the PB & J Cupcake. I was told several times that they did not expect to like this cupcake but loved the combination of flavors, and that I should try it with grape jelly.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg, plus 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon into a mixer bowl. Transfer bowl to mixer, and add egg, yolk, water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on low speed until mixture is well combined and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Divide batter among liners, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until golden brown and a tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks for 30 minutes. Invert cupcakes onto racks, and let cool completely. (Cupcakes can be stored for up to 3 days.)
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Combine butter and peanut butter.
- Add vanilla, mixed until combined.
- Combine confectioner’s sugar one cup at a time, scrapping bowl down after each addition.
Assembling the Cupcakes
- You will need some prepared jam, jelly or preserves, flavor of your choice. I used raspberry jam that my friend made (he (DG) is an amazing caner). While optional, I added some crushed peanuts for garnish.
- Equipment needed: two pastry bags fitted with two tips of your choice. I used a 1M for piping and circle tip for filling.
- First, you will fill the cupcakes with jam using a pastry bag.
- Then, you will pipe the peanut butter frosting on top the cupcakes.
- Dollop some jam on top the frosting and sprinkle the crushed peanuts.